My biggest project for the past few weeks was creating geometry partner games for grades 1-5, and I’m excited to share that the final set was just approved by my classroom proofreaders/testers!
Here’s a link to the original post I wrote explaining how these particular partner games work, in case you missed it. The games are designed for Math Partner Game Routines, but can also work in math centers or math work stations. They’ve been a lot of fun to create, and I think they’re uniquely helpful for teachers who are implementing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) because the games include:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not “finished” until time is up
- Challenge activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- “Math Talk” questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they’re learning
And here’s a geometry freebie for you, too! You can use these cards for sorting, matching, or whatever games you choose:
If you don’t teach K-5 math, no worries! I have plenty of other free and priced printables. I’m also gearing up to start some character education and reading comprehension items, too.
One last thing….I’ve thought about this a lot, but I don’t think I’ve said it here yet. I really appreciate the support you all have shown me as I create these teaching resources. I realize that the majority of you are paying for these items out of your own pocket, and I’m not exaggerating when I say I feel honored that you would spend a portion of your paycheck on printables that I’ve created. I don’t take a single sale for granted. I realize that every dollar counts and I try to make stuff that gets you the most bang for your buck. I really hope you find these math partner games (and the other items I create) to be a worthwhile investment. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Angela Watson (see all)
- 4 ways time management habits get derailed (and how to get back on track) - February 19, 2017
- The SMART Learning Suite: Any device. Any Approach. - February 15, 2017
- From burnout to Teacher of the Year: Pam’s story of loving her job again - February 12, 2017
- Enjoy teaching more: 20 ways in 20 days begins March 1st! - February 8, 2017