Stepping back

Somehow I like that phrase better than ‘taking a break’. But that’s exactly what I’m planning to do for awhile.

My husband and I just finished the rather exhausting process of buying a home (which, yay!) and are now in the process of moving (which, ugh.) That’s been taking up a lot of my time and energy the last few months. Additionally, I’ve been experiencing some health problems–the doctors aren’t sure exactly what’s happening, and I’ve got more tests scheduled for the next two weeks. I have faith that things will turn around soon and end up not being that serious, but it’s been a big distraction in my mind and it’s made my energy levels really low.

The two circumstances combined have drained my creative energy to the point where I don’t feel like I have a lot to share or say, and it takes ten times the amount of effort to produce anything worthwhile. I’ve been trying to create new stuff for TeachersPayTeachers, write my fourth book, and keep up with the blog and social media, and think my body and my spirit are telling me to take a break for a while.

It could be a week, or two, or a month. I can’t imagine it being much longer than that. I love what I do and I’m really looking forward to having my focus and energy back so I can keep creating. But for now, I want to limit my workload to only the most essential tasks, and that means blogging and social media and most content creation needs to take a back seat. I may post something on Facebook or wherever if the mood hits me, but I’m not pressuring myself to keep up with any of that stuff. This blog is only a small part of what matters in my life, and I know it’s an even smaller part of what matters in YOUR lives. The world will keep turning without Angela tweeting and pinning and sharing funny eCards on Facebook.

My number one job right now is supposed to be lying down and drinking lots of water and green smoothies. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks for the prayers, positive thoughts, and encouragement so many of you have sent over the years. They are much appreciated, especially now.

1 Jane October 23, 2013 at 6:15 am

I’ll keep you in prayer.

2 Betsy Hamilton October 23, 2013 at 6:19 am

It is hard to slow down and take care of oneself in our zoomy world… Good for you for doing it. Best wishes for health and balance.

3 Glenda Dunson October 23, 2013 at 6:39 am

Prayers going up for a speedy recovery and stress-free move.

4 Dana R. October 23, 2013 at 8:23 am

Angela, you’re so right about having the faith that things will get better! I too share that belief! I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :)

5 Lisa October 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm

My dearest Angela,
You are such a bright light in the world that simply cannot be dimmed. When I reached out for prayers the other day and you answered, I had no idea you were also struggling with a health issue. You will now be added to my list of morning prayers and I will add you to the prayer warriors list at my church.
I too am working to heal my eye, via macula vitamins, green smoothies, prayers from friends, family, my church, but most importantly my faith in God that he will heal me. As a christian, and deeply spiritual person, this experience has caused me to begin to do what I had not been making time to do regularly, which was to “be still” in spiritual connection, everyday. I now do this every morning… fix my smoothie, read scriptures that I found that speaks of healing, pray, all while listening to a praise cd called Spiritual Refrain. Prior to doing this, outside of morning prayer with my hubby, I was much too focused on getting my work done. Never again will I place that ahead of what my friend Courtney Carver calls “A Meaningful Morning Routine” http://bemorewithless.com/artofslow/
I pray that this journey will strengthen you to develop a morning routine, and thereby seek, find and nurture your spiritual self.
Blessings to you. Love, Lisa

6 Joan Young October 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Angela,
I am thinking of you and saying a prayer. I have been feeling a bit “tired” of all of the “noise” of being part of a wonderful connected network. I think it’s really important to step back when we feel that we need to, for whatever reason. Your health is number one, of course, and I am hoping that this is a tiny blip and you’ll be feeling better very soon.
Take care! :-)

7 Philip Cummings October 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

You are in my thoughts and prayers. @Philip_Cummings

8 Cheryl October 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Hugs and prayers!! I know how you feel, I’ve been battling blood clots in my left leg for a year now and we still are not sure what is going on. Hope they figure out what is going on and can make you feel well again!!

9 Sharon Cahoon-Winter October 23, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Angela,
Just take it easy and as you know, we are all praying for you and hoping that you regain your energy. Try to remain as positive as possible and know the Lord is ever present. We know that when you come back you will be as good as new! God Bless!

Sharon W

10 Sally October 23, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well! (And congrats on the new home!) I agree, your #1 job is to take care of you, although I’ll certainly miss your posts! I’ll keep you in my prayers.

11 Marianne October 23, 2013 at 10:38 pm

So sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Honestly, I don’t know how you’ve been doing all this for as long as you have and as well as you have. Please take care of yourself; I look forward to hearing you are well again.

12 Heidi Butkus October 23, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Slowing down is hard for high achievers! So concentrate on taking it easy. We will miss you while you are out, but please know that we understand and are hoping and praying for the best for you!
Take care,
Heidi Butkus

13 Sheryl Boyd October 24, 2013 at 12:10 am

Praying for you, Angela!

14 Chaya October 24, 2013 at 1:26 am

Hugs to you, I know that feeling. Hope the health concerns resolve ok. Will miss you!

15 Elisa October 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery. Will be sending lots of good energy your way.

16 Amy October 27, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Saying prayers for you, Angela! Rest, get well, feel better!

17 Susan October 28, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Hope you are feeling better soon!

18 Karen October 30, 2013 at 11:57 am

Congratulations on buying a home! Wishing you a quick recovery – hope you feel better soon.

19 Maria November 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Hi Angela. I completely understand! Take care of yourself — God has a plan even in this. Green smoothies?! =/ Seriously though, you’ve been SO helpful to me personally. I will be praying for you and hoping that you feel better soon!

20 Karen November 6, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Blessings to you and your family in your new home! Take care of your spirit and all will fall into place!

21 Angela Watson November 8, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thanks to each and every one of you who commented. Your support and encouraging words mean more than you know!!