Passionate learners: giving our classrooms back to our students

Passionate Learners by Pernille RippI knew even before I read it that Passionate Learners: Giving Our Classrooms Back to Our Students was going to become one of my favorite education resources and something I would recommend to every teacher I know.

That’s because I’ve been following Pernille Ripp’s incredible blog for many years. She consistently cranks out thoughtful reflections on her instructional practice as a fourth grade teacher. I have witnessed her growth and change over the years, and it’s amazing to see all of her wonderful ideas shared altogether in one comprehensive eBook.

Rather than repurpose blog content for the eBook, Pernille has linked back to various posts where she expands on ideas. It’s a terrific resource for readers who want to learn more and see how reflections at different points in her career have built upon one another organically. The eBook also includes photos of her students in action and links to videos. Each chapter ends with a section called “What you can do starting today” which gives practical next steps to help you put the ideas into place.

As I read the book, I jotted down a few questions I hoped Pernille would answer to help me share the heart of her message with you all:

1) One of my favorite things about both your blog and your book is how openly you speak of your past mistakes and how your thinking has changed over the years. What “aha moment” would you say has had the greatest impact on how you now run your classroom?

My biggest “aha” moment was when I realized that I hated teaching. Here I had pushed so hard to become a teacher working full-time while going to school full-time and yet after 2 years, I hated it. I loved the students, but I hated what I had become and it was nobody’s fault but my own. While there are things outside of our control that can greatly affect the way we teach, I had forgotten that I actually had control over myself and so I had no one to blame but myself. Once my husband made me realize that it wasn’t teaching I hated but the way I taught, then I started to change.

2) The chapter called “It’s Not How Your Classroom Looks, It’s How It Feels” really resonated with me because I believe a warm, inviting, and functional learning environment is far more important than a beautiful or perfectly coordinated one. What do you recommend teachers focus on when planning for their classroom layout and decor?

That the room shouldn’t just be about them but about the students. I think we get too caught up in making our classrooms cute or overcrowded with inspiration that we forget that there needs to be room for the students as well. If we leave blank spaces and give students power over those spaces, then they can start to feel ownership of the room. With ownership comes a deeper engagement because the learning environment is more theirs. Students should not feel like visitors in our rooms, it should feel like a safe environment that they can create, experiment, and perhaps even fail in.

3) You talk a lot about your personal demon, control, which also happens to be my personal demon. What do you do when you are tempted to micromanage students or take over their learning?

I take a step back and read aloud! This sounds crazy, but too often when I get wound up over something or too carried into myself then I do something completely different from what we are doing if even for a few minutes. Perhaps that means sharing a new picture book, taking a mindful break, a dance break , or even stepping out of the room so the students can figure it out. I have even stopped talking and stepped back to watch on occasions when I get too over-involved.

4) My favorite chapter in the book is called “Would you like being a student in your own classroom?” What would you say to a teacher whose answer to that is NO because of the school’s overemphasis on test preparation?

That they are not alone and that I think almost every teacher struggles with this especially in the U.S. However, I would also ask them if they can figure out how to de-emphasize it without getting themselves into hot water. Or somehow change the focus from test prep to later life prep, and by later life I mean outside of school and work. Sometimes we teachers are the ones hyper-focused on the test prep and students don’t notice it, so sometimes it is ourselves we need to relax with. I also think of all the things I do have control over and try to focus on that, telling my students through my actions what is more important to me. (This is a tough question because I struggle with it myself!)

5) What do you wish every teacher knew about motivating students and creating passionate learners?

That it doesn’t take much to start the change! That simply by asking the students what they would like to do or how they would like to learn something we are giving them a voice within our classroom and engagement will increase.

Pernille’s blog and book will challenge the way you think about your classroom, but never in a way that feels preachy or condescending. Pernille learned most of her lessons through trial and error, and she shares her experiences in a way that is honest and humble. Her ideas are both practical and inspirational.

The best thing about Passionate Learners, though, is it will leave you not only with ideas to make your students more passionate learners, but with ideas to bring back your own passion as a teacher, as well. Don’t miss this one: it could be life-changing!

1 Sue May 14, 2014 at 8:59 am

Sounds like the perfect summer read to challenge my thinking.

2 Karen J May 14, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I was reading about Global Read Aloud Day and read about Pernille’s book! I love what she says about student choice and voice in the classroom! I’m now following her on Twitter and Google+ and looking forward to reading her book!

3 Rebecca May 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I’d love to read this book and be refreshed with a new outlook on teaching my students!

4 Keri May 14, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I am looking for some encouragement.

5 Kayla May 14, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for the introduction to this teacher author! Can’t wait to check her stuff out!

6 Kim Bain May 14, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I desperately want to read this as I, too, am somewhat of a control person .I am so willing to try some of her ideas especially designing the classroom where students have more room to add what they want!

7 Gina May 14, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I NEED some ideas! Every day this week I’ve come home thinking, “I need a new career!” I don’t feel effective anymore…

8 Gina May 14, 2014 at 7:29 pm

The book sounds like a breath of fresh air…

9 Amy May 14, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Oh my goodness, I’ve been feeling like I hate teaching too lately, and wondering if I can get back what I used to enjoy about it. I’m very interested in reading the book and will definitely be reading her blog.

10 mikaela May 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’m very interested in reading this. It’s been amazing what a little bit of student choice and power has done for the motivation in my classroom. Sounds like a great read!

11 Linda Kardamis May 14, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Sounds like a great book! And I definitely want to check out her blog. Thanks for sharing.

12 Jill B. May 14, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Think I definitely am needing these reminders/thought-provokers to refresh my spirit and my vision this summer ….perhaps even change some of my techniques! Thanks for sharing.

13 Elicia May 15, 2014 at 9:32 am

I hope that this book becomes the top of my summer reading list. I am especially interested in reading about mistakes, as I’m new and making mistakes every single day. (Of course.) Trying to figure out how to turn those mistakes into learning is a constant challenge.

14 Annie May 15, 2014 at 10:55 am

Sounds like an awesome book. If you don’t have passion in teaching, you will be very unhappy. Would love to read it!

15 Annie May 15, 2014 at 10:57 am

This book sounds awesome. You need passion to love teaching, or you will be very unhappy. Would love to read it!

16 Alethia May 15, 2014 at 1:29 pm

As a beginning teacher, I would love to work on creating a classroom and lessons that engage my learners! :)

17 www.signs101.com May 15, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Good day! I just want to offer you a big thumbs up for the excellent information you’ve got
here on this post. I’ll be returning to your web site for more soon.

18 Angie May 15, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I would LOVE to read this book to renew my spirit over the summer and get ready to teach those 5th graders again!

19 Morgan May 15, 2014 at 10:03 pm

To inspire me to do more purposeful reflection!

20 Meagan Mathews May 15, 2014 at 10:12 pm

As I end my second year if teaching (starting with kindergarten then moving on up to sixth grade) I already feel discouraged. I am looking for tools to help me lift my head high and keep it up. This sounds like a good start.

21 Karen May 15, 2014 at 10:38 pm

The chapter about the look vs. feel of the classroom reminds me of a blog post by Angela that addressed the topic. It resulted in many comments from readers that addressed both sides of the issue. I’m interested to read what Ripp says about this topic. Looking forward to reading her book and blog!

22 Sarah May 16, 2014 at 4:31 am

I’m always looking for a good professional read.

23 Kerry Miller May 16, 2014 at 6:05 am

I am changing buildings next year and have been thinking of “changing things up”. I’ve always been too afraid to go against the district, but we (education overall) keep going further and further away from doing what’s best for the kids! Would LOVE to have a copy to help me in my journey next year.

24 Loveday May 16, 2014 at 6:06 am

Sounds like just the book to get my passion for teaching back!

25 Lynn May 16, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I want to read this book because I am a new teacher and I want to hit the ground running. I am trying to avoid those first couple of years that teachers look back on and say they were not good teachers. I want to be a good teacher from day one.

26 Maile May 16, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Sounds like a great book to recharge with over the summer

27 Tracy May 16, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I liked the question about how the author ‘hated’ teaching. I have felt that way and want to read on to see how the author changed her mindset.

28 C Bancroft May 17, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Wow…definitely a book I need now. I feel like I am doing all of the work and need to regroup. Running on empty.

29 Karen E. Dabney May 17, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Love what I’ve read so far! Everyone is a teacher! These things don’t only apply to the classroom.
Thanks!
~Karen

30 Megan May 18, 2014 at 10:09 am

This would be great to read before I start my first year of teaching in the fall!

31 Kathy May 18, 2014 at 11:51 am

I have followed Pernille’s blog and have enjoyed it immensely. I would love to read her book!

Kathy

32 Linell May 20, 2014 at 8:05 am

I’m a new teacher and think this would be a tremendous help in setting up my first classroom!

33 Amy May 23, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Thank you for the opportunity to win the book, Angela! I’m looking forward to reading it right away!