The top 4 excuses for not being a connected educator

I’m not usually the type of person who tells other teachers what they MUST and MUST NOT do. This post is pushier than usual, because I’m more passionate about this topic than usual. Being a connected educator has transformed my teaching and added so much joy to my life that I want every discouraged and overwhelmed teacher to know: You can become energized once again. You can love your job!

Being a connected educator means creating a personal learning network or community (often called a PLN or PLC.) The people in your personal learning community are those you connect with to share ideas and encourage each other. Some teachers have a lot of people like that in their own schools, but many teachers don’t, and they reach out to like-minded individuals online. Through Twitter or Facebook or blogs or whatever medium they choose, the build a community of people they can share success and failures with and enjoy growing together.

If this article doesn't convince you to connect with other teachers online, nothing will! :)

Here the 4 primary reasons why many teachers aren’t connected to a PLC.  If you recognize yourself in any of these excuses, I hope this post will help you consider this topic in a new way:

1. I don’t want to spend my free time thinking about school.

I’m not advocating for you to think about school and all its problems and stressors. Don’t spend your evenings and weekends rehashing that argument with a parent, stressing out about your upcoming evaluation, ranting about standardized testing, and complaining about students’ behavior problems.

That’s not what being a connected educator is about at all. It’s about spending some of your free time thinking about topics you are passionate about and ideas that inspire you. And hopefully, some of those topics are related to teaching and learning.

To me, becoming a connected educator is about filling your mind, soul, and spirit with things that motivate and energize you. It’s about connecting with FRIENDS—fellow educators you enjoy talking to about personal and professional things.

When you choose to connect with other educators, you have complete control over your own professional development. You participate in the events you are interested in, and talk about the topics you care about. There is SOME aspect of teaching that still lights a fire inside you—getting kids to love reading, perhaps, or creating a beautiful learning space. Tap into that and discuss it with other teachers who have your same interest.

What could be more exciting and empowering than using your free time to explore a topic you are passionate about?

2. I don’t think it’s necessary/I didn’t know I needed a PLC.

Has teaching gotten a little monotonous? Are your students driving you nuts? Are you bogged down by all the demands of teaching and losing sight of the big picture? Do you often dread or feel ambivalent about going to work each day?

If the answer to any of those questions is YES, then becoming a connected educator is necessary.

Teaching becomes a boring, passionless experience when we’re doing the same thing every single day (and year after year). We start to go through the motions and lose our enthusiasm because the only challenges in our day are the ones we don’t want and didn’t ask for.

The way to breathe new life into your teaching is to tap into your inner motivation and connect with the things, people, and ideas that matter to you. Inspiration for new teaching ideas and improving your practice doesn’t just come out of nowhere: it comes from allowing your mind to drift to possibilities in your downtime, and surrounding yourself with energizing people and ideas.

If you don’t take the initiative to increase your teaching motivation, who’s going to?

3. I don’t have time.

If you try to completely separate your personal and professional lives, then no, you won’t have time to be a connected educator. There aren’t enough hours in the day…UNLESS you integrate the personal and the professional.

When you’re zoning out in front of the TV in the evenings, check in with your edufriends in a Twitter chat, or see what’s new in your Facebook group for teachers, or use Pinterest’s new updated search function to see how other teachers are teaching the content you’re teaching. Listen to podcasts of inspiring educators when you’re exercising, driving, cleaning, or cooking. Attend a conference to meet your PLC members face to face, and bring your family along on the trip so you get extra time with them, too.

Find solutions that work for your lifestyle. Treat teaching like every other hobby or personal interest in your life: look for other people who like the same things as you and spend time together.

4. I don’t know how.

What type of online activities do you enjoy doing right now? Reading blogs? Surfing Facebook or Pinterest or Instagram?

Think about how you can integrate your teaching interests into that. Look for inspiring educators to follow online in whatever form of social media you prefer. You don’t have to do them all. Start with the tool you like best and use most often. If you’re already on Facebook, join us in the Encouraging Teachers Facebook group. If you want to try Twitter, check out my post where I explain how to participate in Twitter chats and the newbie-friendly #teacherfriends chat. And since October is Connected Educator Month, here’s a whole list of ways to connect!

Don’t make the mistake I did when starting out and follow only people that you relate to and can commiserate with. Reading about other teachers’ problems and complaints will not energize you.

Instead, follow people who inspire you and challenge you. Look for the people who push your thinking and see things differently than you. Find the people who are excited about teaching, and as you interact with them online, you will realize that passion is contagious. And who couldn’t use a little more passion in their teaching?

Have you been a reluctant connected educator? I’d love to hear about your challenges and struggles. And if you’ve found effective ways of plugging in with inspiring educators online, please share your favorite resources!

1 Gretchen Schultek October 4, 2014 at 10:34 am

Great article Angela, as always! I couldn’t agree more! I wonder if readers would enjoy a list of Twitter chats that have provided some much needed PD for myself- #cmsk12chat, #ntchat , #edchat etc. Stay connected! Stay engaged! Stay a learner!

2 Angela Watson October 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm

That is a great idea, Gretchen! My personal favorites (and the ones I’d recommend to those new to Twitter) are #teacherfriends and #tlap. I also like #ntchat, #lemechat, and #edchat.

3 Karen October 5, 2014 at 9:18 am

Hi Angela,

I found this an interesting post. I agree with what you’re saying, however in practice it’s not easy to do. However, as I say that I’m realising that I have done it to some extent. I’m in a Facebook Group for 4th grade teachers, which has been really good. It’s capped at 500 so it’s not too overwhelming and we’re all teaching 4th grade, so we got that in common. The other thing I’m doing is studying towards my MEd (via a Grad Cert in Inclusive Education), and I really make a concerted effort to participate in the online activities associated with the unit I’m doing at the moment. Not always easy when you don’t get much response, but I keep persevering.

Being an expat teacher comes with challenges that are unique to the situation in which we work, but I enjoy interacting with others who I know are in similar situations. Now I’m off to get on with some study stuff.

4 Angela Watson October 5, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hi Karen! I applaud you for trying to get connected and stay inspired in a variety of different ways. Taking care of ourselves is always easy in theory and much harder in practice. Eating well. Exercising. Getting enough sleep. Engaging in activities that feed our souls and spirits, and that renew our sense of passion for our work…it’s a constant balance. I hope this post gives teachers permission to take care of themselves and help them look for ways to get re-energized about teaching.

5 Windy October 11, 2014 at 8:53 pm

So here’s my challenge…
I became active on Twitter this year by finding people to follow, participating in chats, sharing blog posts I like, ideas learned at conferences, etc… I love what Twitter has to offer as far a positive inspiration and professional development goes. I try to tweet or re-tweet several times a week. I have 200+ followers and always looking for new people/organizations to follow. The problem is that I don’t feel connected. At least not yet.

6 Angela Watson October 13, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Hi, Windy! I will be honest and say it took me years to feel connected on Twitter. I am a wordy person and the 140 character limit just makes it hard me to have meaningful conversations there. Facebook groups work better for me. I like Twitter for sharing ideas, but not for conversations. Just a personal preference.

Have you participated in the #teacherfriends chat? That’s a pretty warm, fuzzy environment. You might be able to establish some friendships there. Blog commenting is good, too.

7 Debbie Clement October 11, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Angela! Great article! There are so many possibilities to create a support system. So glad that you are offering support and encouragement for people to stretch.

Super grateful for your shout-out for our continued gathering and PRACTICE around the hashtag #TeacherFriends on Twitter. I am so THRILLED to see that we have educators sending their first tweet in the midst of our chat. Even more exciting? Seeing that person return and support a brand new-newerbie as they take a new baby step into the world of connecting.

All the best! We’d LUV to have you back in our spotlight in the future.
Debbie Clement

8 Angela Watson October 13, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Thank you, Debbie! I was honored to be invited. I’ve been taking on a lot of projects lately and haven’t been doing any Twitter chats but I definitely want to get back into it.

9 Maggie October 12, 2014 at 1:46 pm

It was such a joy to have you and the positive spin you brought to our #teacherfriends chat. I ditto what Debbie said: Looking forward to a repeat guest spot from you! Teachers now more than ever need to help each other feel good about the efforts they make on behalf of students. It is not easy, but we can help each other to focus on the positive. Thank you for the shout out!

10 Angela Watson October 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Thank you, Maggie! I appreciate the time you took to comment.

11 Amber October 14, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I am so glad that you chose to write about this topic. There are so many teachers that struggle with this on a daily basis and even as a young teacher, I find myself being sucked into this mindset at certain points. I feel that in today’s world of standardized tests, higher demands and expectations, as well as new material, content, and resources, we often become overwhelmed and tend to shut down instead of using each other as a resource. I really like the idea that connecting with other educators gives you complete control over your professional development, as well as provides a healing connection that can benefit your personal and professional life.
It is vitally important that we surround ourselves with energizing and encouraging colleagues. By working together and sharing thoughts and ideas, we can hopefully transfer a positive outlook and proactive teaching style to those that may not have the same mindset. I feel that you made such a powerful statement when you said: “Find solutions that work for your lifestyle”. There are so many ways we can become better at what we do, particularly just by listening to others and learning from their experiences. Listening to podcasts is a fantastic idea that will not require much time or effort out of a typical day.

Your Facebook group “Encouraging Teachers” has been a extraordinary and helpful resource over the past year. I have had questions answered, feelings affirmed, and many resources gained through the teaching family that belongs to this group. As you mentioned in your post, it is so important to continually challenge yourself as a teacher, just as you do with your students. Reading about the work and experiences of others has challenged me to reevaluate my own approach and teaching techniques, as well as continually ask if I am doing enough for my students and how I can incorporate new ideas and materials in order to keep them engaged. If we expect our students to develop into life-long learners, we must remember to do so ourselves.

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom and for sharing all of your resources!

12 Angela Watson October 17, 2014 at 8:50 am

Amber, that is so kind of you to take time out of your crazy schedule to share those words. I really appreciate it! I’m so glad Encouraging Teachers has been helpful for you. I look forward to connecting with you more there. :)

{ 6 trackbacks }