ANGELA WATSON (formerly Powell) has earned international recognition for her unique contributions to the field of education. A pioneer and trailblazer of modern teacher blogging, she was first known for Ms. Powell’s Management Ideas for Teachers, a website she created in 2003 to share behavior management strategies, teaching techniques, organizational tips, and Christian devotions. The site was later expanded and renamed TheCornerstoneForTeachers.com.
Since then, Angela’s ideas have been featured in hundreds of magazine articles, newsletters, and internet resources, and are utilized in teacher preparation and support programs throughout the nation. She was recently named one of the top 35 Ed Tech influencers. Having earned a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction and National Board Certification as an Early Childhood Generalist, she currently works as an Educational Consultant based in Brooklyn, New York, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Professional Development Services
As founder and owner of Due Season Press and Educational Services, Angela conducts a wide range of professional development work and speaks frequently at education topics. Her workshops typically blend inspirational/motivational principles and practical tips for improving classroom practices. Please visit the Speaking Events/Conferences page for more information.
Instructional Coaching Services
Angela also provides ongoing instructional coaching services to teachers in New York City, working as an Instructional Technology Coach grades PreK-12 through Digital School Solutions. Angela has served as both a Math Coach and Literacy Coach with teachers in grades PreK-8.
Through job-embedded professional development, she is available to model demonstration lessons, support teachers in lesson and unit planning, provide informal observations and feedback, and help teachers transform their rooms into functional spaces that support both classroom management and student learning. She frequently assists teachers in creating and utilizing centers, incorporating cooperative learning strategies, integrating technology and web 2.0 tools, and developing and implementing the use of hands-on materials.
Angela is the owner and founder of Due Season Press and Educational Services, an independent publisher that provides professional development services correlated with educational and inspirational books.
Angela published her first book The Cornerstone: Classroom Management That Makes Teaching More Effective, Efficient, and Enjoyable in July ’08. Since then, she has released Awakened: Change Your Mindset to Transform Your Teaching in July ’11, The Awakened Devotional Study Guide for Christian Educators in July ’12, and Unshakeable: 20 Ways to Enjoy Teaching Every Day…No Matter What in March ’15.
Content Creation and Editorial Work
Angela is the Educational Content Creator for BrainPOP, an award-winning and internationally recognized company that creates animated, curriculum-based content. She edits the BrainPOP Jr scripts, quizzes, and features to ensure they’re developmentally appropriate and aligned with standards. Additionally, Angela oversees K-12 lesson plan creation and curriculum resources for BrainPOP Educators, creates teacher support resources for GameUp, and writes for the BrainPOP Educators blog.
TheCornerstoneForTeachers.com was launched in July 2008, but began in 2003 as Ms. Powell’s Management Ideas for Teachers. Site stats include:
* Hundreds of pages of free resources
* More than a dozen best-of-web awards
* 180,765 incoming links from other education websites
* 6.1 million pageviews in 2014
Teachers.Net Gazette ‘Teacher Feature” Classroom Photos. Includes a photographic class tour.
Angela has a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction and actively seeks opportunities to create and review curricular materials in order to improve the quality of student instruction nationwide.
PGCPS Head Start Curriculum Angela was selected to participate in a district-wide, collaborative effort to create a standardized curriculum and align it with developmentally appropriate objectives for the HeadStart program of Prince George’s County, Maryland. This undertaking resulted in a uniform district curriculum complete with sample lesson plans and supporting resources impacting over 800 students each year.
Teaching Expertise, Training, and Certification
* Florida teaching certification (300 hours) in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), 2009
* National Board Certification, Early Childhood Generalist, 2006
* M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction from Western Maryland College, 2002
* B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Art from Hood College, 1999
* 11 years classroom teaching experience (grades HeadStart/Pre-K, 2, 3) primarily in Title 1 schools
* Demonstration Teacher and Mentor for new and student teachers for 9 years
* Extensive inclusion work with students who have ADHD, LD, ED/EI, ODD, autism, and Asperger’s
* Expertise in differentiated instruction, reading/writing workshop, balanced literacy, and web 2.0 tools
Angela’s primary mission is to inspire and rejuvenate educators, instilling confidence through practical suggestions for classroom management and instruction. She aspires to make each reader’s teaching life more effective, efficient, and enjoyable. Her ultimate goal is to show the love of God and encourage others through her daily work.
Latest posts by Angela Watson (see all)
- Using authentic audio resources from Listenwise to bring non-fiction to life - August 24, 2016
- Overcoming decision paralysis: how to make better choices more quickly - August 21, 2016
- How ClassTag is streamlining parent communication in a NYC classroom - August 17, 2016
- 10 things you should throw out in your classroom NOW - August 14, 2016