How to Teach ANY Procedure
On this page, you can download a free chapter from The Cornerstone book which will show you how to create expectations for any classroom procedure, and then introduce, model, and reinforce your expectations with students.
Download the FREE BOOK EXCERPT!
In just this single chapter (15 pages!), you’ll learn:
- The importance of ongoing (distributed) procedure practice
- How to form precise expectations and figure out exactly what you want
- What not to do (how to phrase your expectations so kids will successfully meet them)
- Why you should be cautious about misusing the term ‘we’
- How to use a variety of signals to facilitate routines
- The art of replacing nagging and criticism with performance feedback
- The 8 steps for teaching ANY procedure you want kids to follow
- How to play the Procedure Review Game as a FUN reminder for kids
- The key to revising your criteria without confusing kids or seeming incompetent
- What to do when kids don’t meet your expectations (repeat the practice, not the command)
- The power of “Go back and try it again” (and how to get kids to do it without attitude!)
- Ways to accommodate special needs children
- How to avoid a slow descent into laziness and sloppily-done procedures
- Ideas for logical rewards and appropriate incentives that foster intrinsic motivation
You will need Acrobat Reader 8 or higher for proper viewing. Please note that the copy/paste function and printing rights have been disabled to prevent unauthorized use.
Latest posts by Angela Watson (see all)
- 4 ways time management habits get derailed (and how to get back on track) - February 19, 2017
- The SMART Learning Suite: Any device. Any Approach. - February 15, 2017
- From burnout to Teacher of the Year: Pam’s story of loving her job again - February 12, 2017
- Enjoy teaching more: 20 ways in 20 days begins March 1st! - February 8, 2017