What is a Webinar?
The term webinar is short for web seminar, and it’s an online version of a professional development event. I decided to create The Cornerstone Pro-Active Behavior Management Webinar after getting workshop requests from educators in areas that I can’t easily visit–from small American towns to Uganda to Japan to Brazil. Why not take advantage of the Internet as a truly cost-effective way to reach teachers all over the world?
Why Watch a Webinar?
If you’ve ever fallen asleep in a workshop or sat there fuming with rage about how the day could have been more enjoyably and productively spent at the dentist’s office, you understand that high-quality, engaging professional development is hard to come by. Many times, teachers don’t get a say about the workshop’s topic, much less its date and time.
So what if you could attend a professional development session on a topic that’s relevant to your everyday work and could make an immediate and profound impact on the way your classroom runs? What if you could attend any time you choose, and go back and re-watch any parts that were particularly helpful? And what if you could watch from the comfort of your couch while gorging on your favorite snack foods?
That’s what you get when you purchase this webinar: the convenience of on-demand professional development from someone you already know and trust to deliver a product that’s relevant and practical. If the resources on this website and in The Cornerstone book make sense to you and work with your students, then you know the webinar’s going to provide even more solid advice. And, you’ll be able to print a certificate of completion which may count toward your continuing education credits!
What’s the Webinar About?
The Cornerstone Pro-Active Behavior Management Webinar is a series of 5 webinar sessions that are designed to help you construct a self-running classroom that frees you to teach. The focus is on teaching students to become responsible and self-reliant, and helping you maximize your instructional time. It’s designed for teachers who work with students aged 4-11.
Check out this overview to learn more:
Introduction (10 min.)
Session 1: Precise Expectations (27 min.)
Session 2: Consistent Procedures (63 min.)
Session 3: Instructional Routines (47 min.)
Session 4: Consequences and Rewards (25 min.)
Session 5: Meeting Individual Needs (45 min.)
Closing Message (5 min.)
The webinar comes with a 15 page note-taking and summary guide (you can view an excerpt here) to help you organize your thoughts and key in on the solutions you’re looking for.
How Is It Different From the Book?
If you’ve read The Cornerstone book, you’ll find that the webinar reinforces and extends the techniques you’ve learned. The two resources are organized completely differently to help you process the information more deeply and apply the core concepts in ways you wouldn’t have thought of with just one of the resources alone. And, the webinar is cross-referenced with the book so you can look up more information about many of the ideas presented.
A lot of teachers have read the book and then emailed me to ask: Now what? How in the world do I implement all of this? That’s an especially tricky issue once the school year has started because you already have routines in place and are worried about how to change them. The webinar explains step-by-step how to take your new ideas and put them into practice in a way that’s manageable and not overwhelming to you or your students.
How Does the Webinar Work?
I created the webinar using Screenflow, which means you can see a videocast of me giving the presentation along with a simultaneous screencast–whatever’s on my computer screen shows up on yours. The presentation itself has been created with Prezi, which is like the next generation of PowerPoint and about a hundred times more engaging (sorry, Microsoft). You can watch the embedded YouTube video above for a demonstration, or click here if you can’t view it.
The webinar is delivered in a Quicktime movie format and streams from a password-protected web page. When you purchase the webinar, you’ll get a user-specific link and a password that allows you and only you to view it. You, personally, will have unlimited access to the webinar indefinitely–there’s no expiration date for your password. You can view the webinar on more than one computer without a problem, but excessive accessing of the links from multiple computers/ISPs will trigger a warning email and eventually the disabling of your link/password, so make sure you don’t share the information and allow others to access the resources. It’s licensed only for individual use, so if you’re interesting in sharing the webinar with a group of teachers or showing it in a staff development meeting or event, please email me for special licensing and purchasing info.
Watching the webinar is a really simple process, and you don’t have to download a thing: just visit your user-specific link and enter your password to access a web page with all the resources. Click on the session you want to watch, and the 960 x 600 video will open in a new tab or window and start streaming immediately! You can view the webinar from any Mac or PC that has 1) Quicktime installed, and 2) an internet connection (the higher-speed your connection, the more quickly the videos will load and the more smoothly they’ll play.)
How Do I Get It?
Send your PayPal payment securely through eJunkie (the site that processes the orders and sends download links). You can do this even without signing up for a PayPal account, and your payment method can be an eCheck or any credit card you normally use. PayPal encrypts your credit card or bank account information so that no one–even me–can see it. After your payment is processed, you’ll immediately receive an email that provides your link and password so you can start viewing right away.
The regular price is $109.
Follow the link to buy now, and if you have a discount code, you’ll have the opportunity to enter that at time of payment. You will receive an electronic payment confirmation which you can print out and keep as a tax-deduction or to submit to your administration/district for reimbursement if you have special funds set aside for professional development and/or teacher expenses. Also, you will be able to print a certificate of completion for 6 hours of PD which may count toward continuing education credits.
Please note that you are purchasing a single user license. If you are interested in using the webinar for staff trainings, faculty meetings, grade level PD sessions, etc., please email me for pricing.
As with my book, I’m offering a money-back guarantee: I’m confident that this webinar will help you construct a self-running classroom that frees you to teach. If it doesn’t, just email me with your concerns and I’ll refund your payment with no questions asked.
What Teachers Are Saying About the Webinar
- “I just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying reading your books and watching your webinar. They have encouraged me to really reflect on my own teaching practices. I’m teaching a Year 2 class this year (6/7 year olds) and your ideas will definitely help me to get our class running itself. Last year I taught Year 5 (9/10 year olds) – so it’s pretty new to me getting tapped, pulled and prodded by the kids just looking for praise or tattling! At least I know why they are doing this and the importance of eliminating ambiguous instructions.You have inspired me, in that I feel motivated, enthusiastic and empowered!!!” –John, Birmingham, UK
- “I really, really, REALLY enjoyed the presentation. Some things I found I was doing well (positive affirmation) but hearing you say it’s never to late to make a change was empowering. Thank you for this information. I have employed a few ideas already and it has begun to change the dynamics of instructional time–I love it!” –Jodi, 4th grade teacher, Florida
- “I have purchased dozens of books (including yours) to help me out but watching the webinar has made a world of a difference. I do not have to look up topics in a book, this is much faster, more interesting and effective. I cannot thank you enough!” –Sylvia, 5th grade teacher
- “I just finished the webinar series! I had spoken to my kindergarten teacher (yes, my parents are still in touch with her) and her comment was, ‘Some years you just want to throw up your hands and quit. You just stick it out because the next year will remind you why you became a teacher’. Well, winter break could not come fast enough this year and I needed a boost in confidence. Your webinar and teaching style was exactly what I needed. I really appreciated that I felt as if I was just chatting with a friend about ways to problem solve in the classroom. I also appreciated that you made the study guide and had me think about my concerns. Returning to that page after watching and writing down possible solutions was so empowering. I have nothing but compliments and positive feedback to pass on to my administration. They have been looking for web based training to offer the staff and I will be turning in a review along with a copy of my study guide on my first day back in January. Once again, thank you!” –Christa E
- “I am a long-time follower of your website, since back in the days of Ms. Powell’s teaching tips, and I really enjoyed your Cornerstone book. I bought it for my student teacher and I also revisit it every summer when I am getting back into the school mode a few weeks before school starts and sometimes occasionally throughout the year. It is an amazing resource and has given me so many great ideas that streamline my teaching. I was excited to see your webinar become available awhile back. It was exactly as you described- finally some professional development that was relevant, helpful, and could be applied to my classroom right away with real photos and examples shown. I also love how I can come back and revisit certain points in the videos at a later date. You created a fantastic webinar and I can’t even imagine how long it took to prepare and create, yet I can’t wait for another one! THANKS! Looking forward to your next webinar!” –Lisa D., Connecticut
- “Thank you so much for such a detailed practical interesting series of training webinars. I wish I had found you before I had my tough class last year. I can see where I went wrong – the individual two tone counters would have worked wonders. I had procedures but a lot of them were not precise enough for every student to know what to do. You have real flair in presenting. Thank you for this life saver. Was ready to give up teaching.”–Sylvia S.
- “I’m in love with your Webinar! I’ve already applied a number of techniques that I heard from it! I can’t wait to finish! It is so awesome to actually hear you talk about everything in your book! Thank you so much! This has been a very trying year, but with this I feel like I’m going to have an amazing class!” –Stephanie S., Delaware
- “I enjoyed being able to watch it on my home computer, school laptop, and my iPhone! Thanks so much.” –Sheila D.
- “Thank you so much for the wonderful Pro-Active Behavior Management Webinar. I finished watching all of the sessions and enjoyed all of them. I have already started to implement your suggestions and have found it to really make a difference. I plan on beginning my next school year with these ideas. I felt that the webinar was easy to follow and realistic to implement. I also liked how you said that it was o.k. to change something in your classroom right away, rather than waiting to start a new school year. Thank you so much!” –Carrie K.
- “Yay! I just got my webinar and can’t wait to start it! I have learned SO much from your book and website over my short teaching career and had have GREAT success with your ideas and philosophies. I know that I will learn lots of new things from the webinar! Thanks Angela!” –Julie R., North Carolina
- “Just finished your webinar and I loved it! I have already begun implementing many of your ideas and they are working!!!! This is only my second year teaching so your book and webinar have been a HUGE help to me. Don’t know how you have time to do all you do. May God continue to bless you. Thanks again.” –Cheryl F.
Want to See the Real Thing in Person?
Contact me about conducting a Cornerstone workshop at YOUR school! Let me know where you’re located (including the nearest airport), approximately how many teachers will be attending, and whether you’re interested in a half-day or full-day in-service.
Latest posts by Angela Watson (see all)
- The Behavior Code (giveaway) - May 23, 2013
- 3 simple tools for backing up your computer - May 20, 2013
- How to get students to follow directions the first time - May 16, 2013
- I’m back. This is Iceland. - May 13, 2013